Wednesday, February 29, 2012

STEM-ulating Action

It's been awhile since I have stopped to blog. However, my recent concern about the need to expose more students to Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) options moved me to act. Kids need to be exposed to different things before high school & college. Exposure helps students to gain clarity on things they like and things they don't. It's easy to locate interesting things via the internet. It's tricky to get those things in front of interested students. After trying some traditional routes to share information, I realized someone new needed to put a plan into action.

No one stopped me, so I'll be responsible for the content of a 6 session STEM class for middle schoolers in Atlanta. Thanks to the help of people that understand educational rigor more than I do, we should bring some insight and STEMergy to the class.

I'll even share some of my thoughts here just in case someone else wants to try this in the future.

At a minimum, the students will be exposed to some physical science, robotics, project management, and the ups and downs that come with innovation & creativity. I know I'll learn something (k)new during the journey.

Preparing for the class, I needed to come up with a way to inflate a balloon in approximately one minute. Some ways work better than others. This was the 3rd method attempted.
A bit too quick, but it does get better...just cannot show that yet. The kids need to figure it out.

We've got work to do, but I take inspiration from the letter Q & some quadcopters.

No comments: