Sunday, November 20, 2011

Bye Blackberry




This weekend I let my Blackberry go. After years of wating for better options where Apple (iOS) & Google (Android) had passed them by, I finally stopped waiting.

I loved having the biggest screen on my monochrome Blackberry 6200. It was cool when the RIM team gave me color. I went to the little Pearl & back to a full QWERTY keyboard. However, the dominant team in the early 2000s slowed down as the new guys came to market. As I got older, and I wanted a larger screen. Apple & Google responded with bigger screens. RIM finally put a large, touch screen Blackberry into play with Verizon, but at that time I was on a contract with another...and all the major carriers had non-RIM, large screen options.

CNET does a great job showing Blackberry through the years.

Sure Blackberry is finally getting some new products to market. T-mobile recently introduced (Nov 2011) a large, touch screen option, retailing at $550, QNX is still on the horizon. Now it's about apps. It's very easy to get iPhone apps. It's easy to get android apps, but Blackberry apps are a di
fferent deal. Sometimes, it's just too little, too late.
My goodbye reminds me a Mad Men episode where they did a pitch using the Bye Bye Birdie concept. The problem with their ad was that their actress couldn't compare to the original star, Ann Margaret.
The problem with me waiting for Blackberry, is the opposite. I feel like I've been waiting for RIM to bring back Ann Margaret excitement and all the other starlets came along and got my attention before she came back with something to keep me in their camp.


If I get an Ann Margaret knockoff to do my Bye Blackberry video, here are the lyrics.

Bye Blackberry
I'm gonna miss you so
Bye bye 'berry
It was time to go

No more new lines
Can't follow you away
I'll sigh 'berry
'til iPhone does stray
I'll miss the way you mail
As tho' it's just for me
And each and ev'ry night
I'd check you faithfully

Bye Blackberry,
It's android now I bear;
Bye bye 'berry
Think I'll always care?
Guess I'll always care?
Don't know that I care?

No comments: